Tuesday 30 April 2013

ESPN: Regrets Broussard comment on gay NBA Player


ESPN says that it regrets the "distraction" caused by one of its reporters who described Jason Collins as a sinner after the NBA center publicly revealed that he a gay.


Chris Broussard, who covers the NBA for ESPN  had said on the air that Collins and others in the NBA who engage in premarital sex or adultery were "walking in open rebellion to God, and to Jesus Christ."

Broussard, a former reporter for the New York Times  spoke during ESPN's "Outside the Lines" program Monday discussing Collins' announcement.

In an article in Sport Illustrated, Collins became the first male athlete in one of the country's four major sports to come out as gay.

ESPN's Josh Krulewitz said the network regret that a discussion of personal viewpoints became a "distraction".  The network offered its own view of Collins' news: "ESPN is fully committed to diversity and welcomes Jason Collins announcement," he said.

During his on-the-air discussion, Broussard described himself a a Christian.

"I don't agree with homosexuality," he said. "I think it's a sin, as I think all sex outside of marriage between a man and a woman is."

"I realize that some people disagree with my opinion, and I accept and respect that," he wrote.  "As has been the case in the past, my belief have not and will not impact my ability to report on the NBA. I believe Jason Collins displaced bravery with his announcement ... and I have no objection to him or anyone else playing in the NBA."

Collins, in an interview with the New York Times on Tuesday, noted that he is a Christian, too.

Yea, everyone is a Christian, even the Devil too.

No comments:

Post a Comment