Saturday 27 July 2013

Desmond Tutu speaks out for gay rights: 'I'd rather go to hell than worship a homophobic God.

The South African Nobel peace laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu says he will never worship a 'homophobic God' and would rather go to hell than find himself in a 'homophobic heaven'. 

The retired archbishop said the fight against homophobia in South Africa was similar to the campaign waged against racial apartheid in South Africa. 

Archbishop Tutu, 81, was speaking at the launch of the UN's first global campaign to promote gay rights.

'I am as passionate about this campaign as I ever was about apartheid. For me, it is at the same level,' the 81-year-old archbishop said at the launch of the Free and Equal campaign in Cape Town. 
Same-sex relationships are illegal in more than a third of countries around the world and punishable by death in five, Ms Pillay said. 

In Africa, homosexual acts are criminalised in 38 countries, according to the rights group Amnesty International. 
Tutu, who retired as Archbishop of Cape Town in 1996, has long campaigned for gay rights.  
'I would refuse to go to a homophobic heaven. No, I would say sorry, I mean I would much rather go to the other place,' he said.
'I would not worship a God who is homophobic and that is how deeply I feel about this.'

What bible are these ministers beginning to read? Certainly not the same one I am reading. The Bible clearly said, not only will God punish those who do these things but those who also support those who do them. So what am I missing?

No comments:

Post a Comment