Sunday 22 June 2014

#BringBackOurGirls: I won’t succumb to blackmail– Oby Ezekwesili


Former Education Minister, Dr Oby Ezekwesili has dismissed insinua­tions that she is being used by the opposition to lead the campaign for the rescue of over 200 schoolgirls abduct­ed by Boko Haram insurgents from Govern­ment Secondary School, Chibok, Borno state since April 14. She explained why she is at the forefront of the #bringbackourgirls advocacy.

Ezekwesili who has since then been at the forefront of the #bringbackourgirls ad­vocacy wondered why Nigeria has turned to a society where people no longer bother about the welfare of fellow citizens, most importantly, the vulnerable. She insisted that being a mother coupled with her love for humanity has been her motivation to campaign for the rescue of the Chibok girls.

According to her “Our common humanity has been traumatized so badly that people would dare question why anybody would raise a voice concerning the daughters of peasants in Chibok just because they are not part of the elite. And so, whatever happens to them, we should all just carry on with our normal life. The reason that I am part of this as a strong advocate for these girls is because I have a soul. I will be accountable to my maker if it would actually be said of me that I was in this country at a time that over 234 children are still missing and I simply couldn't be bothered.”


Credit: Sunnewsonline


No comments:

Post a Comment