Sunday 22 June 2014

My Size Intimidates Men – Actress Oma Iyasara

In an interview with Saturday Beats as reported by the PUNCH, Up and Coming actress, Oma Iyasara says that men are intimidated by her size, when asked; “do men get intimidated by your size?

When asked; have you always wanted to be an actress? She answered: I really don’t know if it was supposed to be acting but I have always loved the TV. While growing up, Christiana Amanpour was my role model.

When asked; So how did you get into the industry? She answered: I got a chance to do a series “The Return” in Ghana in 2006 but I had to go to university. But I became a professional actress during the ASUU strike in 2011. Instead of sitting at home bored, I went to an acting school in Lagos and that was it.

She said no one really introduced her into acting. Her words; I accompanied my friend to a casting and the producer saw me and gave me a script and that was it. She went on to say that it was a Waka pass role in a TV series about four girls and I was one of the girls but after that, when I started in 2012 after my university, I did a couple of extra roles.


On which movie eventually shot her to limelight? She has this to say: it was Last Flight to Abuja. I thank Mr. Obi Emelonye for the opportunity. I really appreciate it.

She said it hasn't been easy to get to where she is now. “I had issues with my family but I thank God they are supportive now. Most times, I fell into depression because it was hectic. My body frame was a problem.

When asked How? She explained that, “They said I had to lose some weight. It got to me but then, whenever I remember America’s Queen Latifa, I feel relaxed. After all, she is successful in her career, I can’t be skinny and it just kept me going. The journey was not easy but I thank God. 
I love my body so much. I actually used to be skinny. I was called ‘alika,’ ‘fido dido’ and such names. I prayed to be chubby and I am enjoying it all the way. We all can’t be skinny.

When she was asked? Some actresses claim they were sexually harassed by directors and producers, are you one of them? She answered: Sexual harassment is everywhere; it is not peculiar to the movie industry. So far, will say I have been lucky not to go thought such anyway. It is how you place yourself that you will be addressed.

She said she is single and when asked if her man asks her to stop acting, she answered: When we get to that bridge, we will cross it. The man hasn't come yet, but if he wants me to stop acting, he should better have a plan B that would wow me.

When asked: Will you act semi-nude in Nollywood? She answered: That is a tough question. To be sincere, I don’t know. Let’s see when that offer comes.

You can read the full interview Here


Though I am yet to see a Nollywood actress who will turn down a semi-nude offer when the price is right. Just saying.


No comments:

Post a Comment